Situated on the right bank of the Gomati River at Rajnagar, Udaipur, the Bhubaneswari temple is located adjacent to the big palace built by Maharaja GovindaManikya (1660 – 75 A.D.). It is located at a distance of 55 km from Agartala, the capital city of Tripura.
History testifies that Maharaja GovindaManikya ascended to the throne in 1660 A.D. but was ousted by his stepbrother Nakshatra Ray or ChhatraManikya the following year. The Maharaja regained the throne in 1667 A.D. and ruled for the next nine years during which he built the temple and dedicate it to goddess Bhubaneswari. The historical significance of this temple is that it finds close literary reference in the Great poet Rabindranath Tagore’s novels and drama. The backdrop of the famous novel Rajarshi and the celebrated lyric drama Bisarjan were conceived by the poet testifying Bhubaneswari temple’s anecdote.
The Bhubaneswari Temple is known for its fine architecture. The architectural features of the temple typically resemble with the charchalastyle architecture of Bengal. The temple is built on a raised platform. The chamber is attached with vestibule and a single arch entrance at the front. The temple has a curve roof with a finial which resembles a stupa on the top of antarala (vestibule) and the core chamber. The resembling stupa on the core chamber is embellished with floral design. Besides, there are four tapering buttresses which are attached to the four corners of the chamber and another two buttresses at the front corner of vestibule. All sides of the temple’s wall are decorated with linear segment.